Monument to Mr. Grant Removed
A twelve foot granite monument in honor of Lemeul P. Grant and in recognition of his gift to the city disappeared many years ago. After dedication in 1910, the monument was removed, by order of the Park Commission, in 1917. The Commission was not pleased with the design and several urns that were part of the structure were broken. It was decided, with the permission of members of the Grant family, to remove the monument and replace it with something more suitable. Plans were drawn for a large entry arch but funds were never allocated. The original monument is lost. The arch still awaits funding.